What are the preferred streaming formats on TuneIn?
Accepted Audio formats:
- MP3 - The most common and compatible format across all of our TuneIn platforms. If you have streams in other formats, we recommend that you have at least one alternate stream in mp3 format.
- AAC - a High-quality streaming format that works very well with our mobile apps. Currently, most AAC streams are only playable on our web player using Chrome.
- Flash - Compatible with mobile apps only.
The following streaming formats are compatible with mobile only:
Accepted Playlist File Extensions:
- m3u, pls, and asx - Streams using these file extensions are the most commonly used in TuneIn and the most compatible across all TuneIn platforms. While the m3u and pls extensions work well with any audio format, streams using asx file extensions are listed as WMA formatted by default.
- m3u8 - Streams are listed as HLS formatted streams by default.
- qtl - Streams are listed as Quicktime formatted streams by default.
- sdp - Streams are listed as flash formatted streams by default.
Accepted streaming URL formats from popular stream providers:
The X's in the URLs represent unique stream IDs or numbers that are provided to you by your stream provider.
Caster.FM ("Unchained Bundle" and Pro plan broadcasters only)
Listen2MyRadio (Premium plan broadcasters only)
Mixlr.com (Pro plan broadcasters only)
Myradiostream "Webcaster Plus" (Streams must be listed as public. Private streams are not compatible in TuneIn.)
- With one of Google Chrome's recent updates, streams hosted on Shoutcast v1 servers are no longer compatible with HTML 5 web players. If you having an existing station listed in TuneIn, please upgrade to Shoutcast v2 and update your streaming URL using our Update Submission Form here.
If your live stream is not a live broadcast 24 hours a day, yourSpreaker streaming URL will point to your podcast feeds most recent episode and we will not be able to add your stream until you have also provided us with the hours the station is live.